Tuesday, July 31, 2007

summer idyll (not idle)

The formerly beer marinated, now eucalyptus and lavendar scented sock-and-a-half spent the week like this, as it took its sweet time drying.GZucker0revieved
There's a reason you normally unwind a ball into a long skein before washing.There's a world of pain inside that center pull. Nice yarn though, no? Its from Autumn House Farm.



I turned my attention to this, a Shear Spirit project I'm testing in Cascade Dolce. Alpaca /silk/wool blend. Mmmm. I wish I could show it finished, I might love it more than anything I've knit in a while. GZuckertest_330 This ice pink/chocolatey brown combo works great in person, I wasn't so sure about it when I cast on. I have this idea that red/aqua will be the next brown/light blue, but this isn't too bad, either.

With a slew of work and a bored 13 yo in tow, I made a quick trip to visit the parents at the Delaware beach. I won't show you a picture of the sad scraggly blanket they keep by the sofa, the spot that should be covered by the unseamed mitered afghan my sister and I so lovingly conceived . And knit but haven't finished. I called sis threatening to send her said picture. We made heartfelt pledges to get seaming.

Mom's been test knitting for the book and did overtime duty deciphering tech problems in patterns, so it was a good working trip. I got a lot done in 36 hours, despite finding my parents, at times, um, distracting. Yet cute. (Don't tell my dad. He was a football player. He hates when people think he's cute.)
parental
This and they taught my son three new kinds of poker. Wholesome beach life!

7 comments:

pacalaga said...

Would he be comfortable with totally adorable? Cuz if that's him with the tray of margaritas, he's completely, totally adorable.

Carole Knits said...

It looks to me like your parents know how to have a good time. :-)

Cookie said...

I'm another vote for totally adorable. And how cool are your parents that they even know three different kinds of poker. :D

Anonymous said...

Ooh, next summer I want to vacation with YOUR family! Your father *is* adorable.

We're a beach-loving, poker-playing family too!

Anonymous said...

Your folks can really style a shot!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, grandparents teaching kids *questionable* lessons. My in-laws introduced my kids to ice cream, a danger from which I, the dutiful mother, had been protecting them. (kids protected = more for me)

zippiknits...sometimes said...

ooo Margaritas! Now that's what you want to see in the late afternoon, a whole tray of them. My vote is on adorable too, and Mom is too. They look like good time folks. Very down home.