Sunday, September 16, 2007

what the inarticulate pirate shouted

Arrrrrgh! Go sea!
(Happy International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

GZucker0907famVar_105
pattern: Argosy from Knitty Winter 06
yarn: hand painted worsted weight silk from HipKnits
needles: size 7 us
finished dimensions: about 62" long by 5 " across at widest
the lowdown:
Last month's vacation knitting, blocked yesterday. I was worried about not having enough yarn, with a 180 yard skein, so I narrowed the pattern . There's SO much yarn leftover. Maybe enough t0 make a second scarf, not quite as long. Crazy! If only I'd weighed it I'd be more accurate but I'm guessing it took less than 120 yards. I think that qualifies this pattern as a good worsted one-skeiner.
thumbs up? oh yes. Easy to memorize the pattern, quick to knit, fun to look at, plays well with a variegated / changing yarn. The silk might be a little floppy for my taste but ooh you should see the pearlescence of it. what's not to like? I definitely recommend it as a quality knit, in, oh, I don't know, maybe a shade of, hmmm, RED!
I'm not alone:
check out these Argosies or the wrap version at the designer's blog.

Here's a truer view of its colors, a really perfect blues/steel/touch of yellowish-brownish tinge. It really does look like the water, seen from below on a sunny day, in my neighborhood. Maybe not the cleanest body of saltwater but one of my favorite places on the planet.
GZucker0907famVar_114
I think we can agree this proves I'm no Julia Trice, can that woman rock a self-portrait or what? Be sure to scroll down to the knit nightie and jeans shots from that link.
I stand (or lean) in awe.
GZucker0907famVar_111

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your scarf - the color, the width, the yarn AND the self-portrait!

Cookie said...

Fab!

All of it!

kt said...

Purty as a red wagon a-goin' up a hill...

Mary Lou said...

What a perfect way to mark International Talk Like A Pirate Day!

Anonymous said...

I love it! And thank you for the idea. I bought two skeins (200 yards each!) of gorgeous vivid green silk and that pattern is absolutely perfect :)

Julia (MindofWinter) said...

I'd say you rocked it! And thanks for the sweet shout-out.