Friday, February 11, 2011

six years and 455 posts

0319_GaleZucker0211fv
This week is my blogiversary.  My sixth. Pretty funny to go back to my first posts. Turns out I was talking about casting on a sweater for Dave,  I hadn't knit one for him in a while. Guess what ? The more things change, the more they stay the same. I'm still trying to get a sweater done for him. That's the yarn up above.
Only this year it's almost finished.
Each winter since 2005 I started a sweater for Dave, and each year it was abandoned by March and then frogged the following fall. This one was no exception; last winter I started a cabley manly sweater, only to find myself never wanting to pay the kind of attention it required to get the cables and textures right. This November I frogged the 12" completed and  cast on for a nice simple Cobblestone in the blue yarn. All was going smoothly.
Until I ran into these adorable indie dyers at Rhinebeck
0597_GaleZucker1010Rhnbeck 
Amy of Spunky Eclectic, David of Southern Cross Fibre and Adrian of Hello Yarn
and I knew I needed something hand dyed in the mix.  Actually I was coveting their hand dyed and handspun yarn. Is it not to love? Since I was conveniently at Rhinebeck , I picked up a skein from Potosi Sheep Farm to mix in the Cobblestone yoke. It should be finished, that's right,  finished, this weekend. 
When I started this blog I told no one. I thought it was kind of dorky and narcissistic. (Turns out it is kinda dorky and narcissistic but, well, whatever!)  I even purposefully used small photos shot with a crappy point & shoot,  to keep the blog separate from my professional work. Once I got over myself and mashed up the commercial and editorial work and the knitting world,  did a couple of books of the yarny nature, it all gelled pretty well.  
Which is a huge understatement, what I really mean is I have met (virtually and in real life, too)  more smart and funny and warm and interesting , not to mention talented and creative and thoroughly inspiring people because of this blog, I feel so lucky . Not to mention, it keeps me  from talking myself silly about knitting to an under- appreciative audience here at Testosterone Central home.
I could end with an artful photo of  delicate ice covered marsh grass, or snow on the beach against a steely sky but I'm really really really weary of seeing snow. How 'bout something juicy? 
Seattle trip with Gabe, festival, dorothy,  
Pike Place market, Seattle last June

23 comments:

LoriAngela said...

Congrats on 6 years. I agree about the wonderful community.

margene said...

Congratulations Gale!! This is a crazy wonderful world we've helped to create. Your photographic skills and great blog are an asset and a joy!! Thank you for being you!

Ellen Bloom said...

Congratulations, Blog-Pal!! If you did not have a blog, I would not have met you!!!
I've logged 5-1/2 years on my blog and I count myself very lucky to have met as many people as I have because of the innernets!!!

Mandy said...

Yay for 6 years! It's been a joy to follow along with you for at least the past few.

gayle said...

Happy happy and pretty yarn!

Laura said...

Happy blogiversary!!!

I've never knit a sweater for my husband either... but I've been working on the same one for three years now. I think I like your technique better.

Cookie said...

Congratulations on 6!

Now can you please update more? Pretty please with socks on top?

xoxox

Vicki Knitorious said...

Happy Blogiversary!! It is an amazing thing, this blogging -- I'm happy that you're here.

Mary Lou said...

Happy Anniversary! If it weren't for the blog, we wouldn't know each other, and I'm very happy to know you. Now send me a big ass apricot.

maryse said...

omg i love that photo of amy, david and adrian.

yep, without the blog i would have never met those three nutballs or you.

thanks for everything!

Diane said...

Congrats on the blog anniversary! And we're glad you mixed your photography and The Knitting, always enjoyable! Thanks for sticking around!

Kirsten said...

Congratulations on six years!! Your blog & photos always put a smile on my face.

I'm so glad I've had the chance to meet you through this community.

kelli ann & lorie said...

Happy 6th anniversary. Wow-- that is a long time! Can't wait to see the finished Cobblestone -- with some hand-dyed yarn in it-- that will be v. interesting (I think I've only ever seen monochromatic Cobblestones.) and:: YES please! to some big-ass nectarines, apricots, some juicy sunshine to sink my teeth into! any day now...

tess said...

Happy Blogiversary! Shear Spirit introduced me to your wonderful photos, but your blog added the pleasure of your words and really, just your upbeat attitude generally. Plus, you write about so many other wonderful people - you are such a generous soul! I read only three blogs regularly, and SSSS is one because of the sparkle and shine and joy that comes through each post. Thanks so much!

twinsetellen said...

Sincere congratulations. Thanks for all the wonderful photographs, and even though it is in the 40's today in Minneapolis, thanks for those apricots.

Cathy R said...

The world would be a much less beautiful place without your blog and your books.

Congratulations on your bloggiversary.

breezily said...

Congratulations! And thank you for continuing to post: I always enjoy your blog and love the photos

Jan said...

Happy Blogiversary!

Kristin Nicholas said...

Gale - I have not been reading for long (dial-up, you know) but now that I have moved up to an "air card" I look forward to your writing and photos. My best for 455 more posts! Kristin

kt said...

Many happy returns!! I join the chorus of those happy to have found you via the medium of le blog.

Have loved yer photos, yer knitting, and yer style. Plan to continue to do so indefinitely.

Yay you!

Adrian said...

Gale, that photo is fantastic! I'm so excited to see the rest.

Congrats on 6 years!!

David said...

The photo you took of us is awesome. It was wonderful to meet you at Rhinebeck.

craftivore said...

Happy Blogiversary!! Your are one of the wonderful people that I've met through blogging and it's always so great to read your blog. Meeting great folks is a wonderful benefit of blogging that I never would have expected when I started.